Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David LearyDavid Leary shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kritopher MaherKritopher Maher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding my voice to this one. We specialize in the integration of Restaurant/Hospitality POS systems with QuickBooks Desktop, Online and a number of other Financial and Payroll systems. We have a growing number of clients requesting integration with QBO. We have the ability to publish Sales, Receivables and Purchases to QBO but Time Entries for Payroll is the BIG gap.

Here are the two main issues:

1) QB Desktop is functional for the Hospitality industry because you can assign Payroll Items to Time Entries and import the Time Entries into the Payroll run to get the right labor distribution to separate Expense Accounts by job type (e.g. if an employee works 20 hours as a Cook and 20 hours as a Server, we can split the time to different Expense Accounts by using different Payroll Items). Most restaurants have employees working in multiple Job Types and want the labor expense posted to separate Accounts. QBO doesn't have an equivalent concept like QBDT Payroll Items that allows this type of functionality. Opinion - Fail!

2) Most POS systems have a Overtime Calculation engine in their system to handle the very complex OT rules in many states. QB Desktop allows us to post Time Entries to Payroll Items which can be configured as Regular or OT Wages. QBO does not have an equivelent concept as QBDT Payroll Items and so handling OT hours is a manual process. Opinion - Fail!

Honestly, QBO payroll is useless for the Restaurant/Hospitality Industry. The single-unit to small chain restaurants would flock to QBO if this functionality was available. They can't even hand-key their payroll into QBO since it won't support their needs.

My personal opinion is that for QBO payroll to meet the needs of this industry you need to add...
        * The concept of Payroll Items just like QBDT
        * The ability to assign Payroll Items to Time Entries just like QBDT
        * The ability to pull hours by Payroll Item from the Employee Timesheets to the Payroll Check Run just like in QBDT
        If you use a different concept, fine, but you need to handle the two use cases listed above.

Happy to talk with anyone at Intuit regarding these gaps in functionality.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please share an ETA if it is available. We are considering building an application and this capability is crucial for us.

I am looking at either using Quickbooks or Paychex. If you had an API it would be hands down Quickbooks.

• Josh BirdJosh Bird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm part of joltup.com which manages operations for thousands of locations across hundreds and hundreds of brands. These brands use our scheduling and time clock features and I too have to tell them to use a different payroll solution because you don't offer this api. How soon will this be available?

• RustyRusty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to create a simple time web based clock app - not time tracking, literally employees could just log in to 'clock in' and 'clock out'. I understand that there is no API for this currently (though I up-voted for it too). Does anyone know of any other way to accomplish this?

• RonRon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when will this be available? We have integrations we would like to use with our Qkbks.

• Joel SlatisJoel Slatis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm the CEO of Timesheets.com. I can tell you that most of our customers who ask about QBO imports for time tracking want a payroll API. I currently have to advise customers against using your service for payroll because of the lack of a payroll item on your timesheets.

• Rotem RubnovRotem Rubnov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update on this topic? Is there an approximate future date for making such an API available for developers?

• Ted CarlsonTed Carlson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be interested in working with the QB API folks as we are going to publish the compliance reporting for employees, contractors, and public works projects (W2, 1099, certified payroll data). Our Version 3 from WKRComp (Time Integrator.com) has the mapping for all 50 states for workers' compensation, unemployment, and benefit funds including body counts, risk classifications, and genders. We just don't have a payroll module built but do calculate gross wages and WC premiums. Why duplicate our efforts?

• BobBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am an application vendor. Don't want to develop my own payroll and timekeeping, but instead integrate with what is most popular. Would use Intuit for this if they had an API with which to integrate!

Is there any ETA on an earliest availability of the payroll API (even if it is for preview initially)?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base